3DPPGH is officially a go! At our kickoff meeting, we talked about the goals of our new group and looked for content guidance from our new members. So, what exactly is 3D printing? For a very detailed article, head on over to 3D Hubs. Otherwise, check out our brief overview below.
The following topics were proposed (in order of priority) to cover in future meetings:
- 3D printing tips and tricks of the trade
- Building your first printer (i3 style)
- How to design objects for 3D printing
- What to look for in a printer (key features and benefits)
- To kit or not to kit?
- 3D scanning
- Which plastics or resins are best for which jobs?
- How to build the lowest cost printer
- Pittsburgh 3D Printer Night (Boxzy, Polygon, etc.)
- Delta printers
- Dialing in your printer
- Resin printers
- 3D printer issues
- Slicer software showdown (Repetier vs. Cura vs. MatterControl vs. Simplify3d)
- RAMPS (or any) controller boards
- Popular printer add-ons
- Paste extruders (food printing)
- Reprap printers (the family tree) and the open source culture
- 3D printing for high precision metal casting
- Exotic filaments
One benefit of hosting the meeting at HackPGH is to experience the projects at HackPGH. Gino entertained the crowd with his Tesla coil playing the theme from Back to the Future: